April 03, 2008

Distortion in digital cameras

I have a number of cameras - from standard 35mm SLRs to 2¼ format to a couple of view cameras - and a few digitals.

Having used the Nikons and Mamiyas as well as my 4x5 Horseman for a lot of client work, I know how they handle, and what quality of image the lenses deliver.

I'm noticing a certain amount of distortion in a number of the consumer digital cams. I recently picked up a Fuji S700 as a quickshooter and have noticed that shooting a square or rectangle head on (in both wide angle and 'telephoto' mode) results in a pincushion.

If there are any pros out there - or anyone shooting for publication, would you let me know what camera(s) you're using and what type of optical distortion you might have encountered?

These quick shoot digital cameras are great, but my question is - are they great enough for a picky art director who might wonder why you didn't shoot his assignment with a Nikon F using a 105mm / 2.5 instead of the digital...

Comments?

No comments: